RSS

Sunday 27 March 2011

Choices



Choices


If I can’t do
what I want to do
then my job is to not
do what I don’t want
to do.
It’s not the same thing
but it’s the best I can
do.


If I can’t have
what I want then
my job is to want
what I’ve got
and be satisfied
that at least there
is something more
to want.

Since I can’t go
where I need to go
then I must go
where the signs point
though always understanding
parallel movement
isn’t lateral.

When I can’t express
what I really feel
I practice feeling
what I can express
and none of it is equal
I know
but that’s why mankind
alone among the animals
learns to cry.

Nikki Giovanni

2 comments:

la fourchette said...

There must be some sort of planetary alignment going on today. This post really touched me. I was in a very reflective mood as well. We seem to be sharing this day in a similar spirit...

Kitty said...

Leslie: One day we'll have to spend the day in the same room :)
This post possibly has a lot to do with the weather, now grey and dull.
Certainly my reflective mood has a lot to do with the maelstrom swirling around my life upon which I try to put a cheerful face.
But inside I know I'm lying to myself...

However, the show must go on.

Post a Comment

Comments are the clotted cream and fresh strawberry jam on the freshly-baked scones of my thoughts. Thank you for them, they're delicious!